Driver & Receiver
Company: Salvation Army USA
Location: Port Huron
Posted on: June 6, 2021
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical
part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the
Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is
to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His
name without discrimination.
FUNCTION OF POSITION:
Driver to pick up donated items from donor's homes and stock
- Greet donors promptly and courteously.
- Assess and receive donated goods, assisting donor in moving the
goods, or move them for the donor.
- Assess and move donated goods to sorting areas, sales areas, or
recycling areas as needed.
- Assign prices to items as required, following given pricing
- Move stock to and from seasonal storage area (downstairs)
- Retrieve storage boxes from upper storage area.
- Move wooden pallets, as necessary.
- Assemble and place "gaylord boxes" onto pallets.
- Place recycled items into appropriate boxes/bins/bailer
- Assist Maintenance worker with mopping floors, sweeping (inside
or out), trash basket changing and normal store cleaning or in
- Shovel snow, operate snow-blower or power mower.
- Assist in bailing of items to be recycled.
- As needed, go along with truck driver for assisting in donation
- Keeping receiving and sorting area clean and orderly.
- Sort donated items.
- Put appropriate clothing onto hangers, wrap or hang linens,
process unusable items for recycling.
- As needed, price items for sale according to pricing
- Keep sorting area clean and orderly.
- Assists/plans daily driving route of scheduled pickups in a
timely and cost-efficient manner.
- Contact's donors ahead of time with approximate pickup
- Ensure that pickups are made as scheduled and that care is
taken in handling all goods, extending absolute courtesy to the
- Responsible for loading and unloading all donated items from
- Responsible to promptly report to immediate supervisor all
accidents involving the truck, personnel injury, or property
- Along with other driver staff, be responsible for cleanliness,
safety, and security of the truck.
- Make daily inspections of tires, brakes, lights, and all other
items to maintain a good operating vehicle and make proper
documentation to such.
- Schedule (or perform) routine maintenance on all vehicles and
- Assist with moving and maintaining Thrift Store displays.
- Provide back-up driving when needed.
- Maintain good staff, customer, and public relations, working
with individuals, groups and organizations to cultivate donations
and volunteer help.
- Attend mandatory staff meetings.
- Attend all training for Safe from Harm compliance.
- Support the mission statement of The Salvation Army.
- Other duties as assigned by the Store Manager and/or Corps
The individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required; the individual must
be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
Education and/or Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent (based on position),
experience in personnel management required, retail sales
- Read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
write routine reports; effectively present information in
one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and
employees.Reasoning AbilityUnderstand and carry out instructions
furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; deal with problems
involving several variables in changing situations.
- The successful applicant will demonstrate an understanding of
The Salvation Army and a willingness to support its mission; an
ability to work well with people, handle difficult situations,
handle multiple tasks at one time; excellent communication skills,
including an ability to be diplomatic in receiving donations from
community members; demonstrate integrity in the use and protection
of donations, confidentiality, and staff relations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Must possess a Valid Michigan Driver's License, and be able to
pass the Chauffeur's driving test, and be cleared through The
Salvation Army to drive a S.A. vehicle. Must pass a state and
federal background check and be trained in local Salvation Army
Safe from Harm policies.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- While performing the duties of this position, the employee is
regularly required to stand; use hands to handle or feel; hear
well; talk. The employee is frequently required to walk and reach
with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job
include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to
adjust focus. This job involves heavy manual labor and handling
bulky/unwieldy items daily.
- Must be physically able to:
- lift and carry up to 50 pounds at waist height to a maximum of
50 feet; lift up to 25 pounds overhead;stoop, bend and turn at the
waist while lifting and/or moving items up to 25 pounds from car
trunks, pickup truck beds, SUV storage areas, car back seats, etc.;
lift and deposit clothing items up to 10 pounds into a bailer
(height is approximately 53"); carry bulky items weighing up to 25
pounds up or down an 18 step flight of stairs; work indoor or
outdoor in heat and cold; work in a dusty environment, with musty
or other odors; shovel heavy snow; climb an 8 ft. stepladder;
safely load, unload and move shopping carts, hand trucks, flat-bed
The work environment for this position is a store setting with
limited temperature control. The noise level is moderate. Dust,
mold, and mildew are common.
Keywords: Salvation Army USA, Warren , Driver & Receiver, Other , Port Huron, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!