Company: Salvation Army USA
Location: Port Huron
Posted on: June 6, 2021
The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical
part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the
Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is
to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His
name without discrimination.
FUNCTION OF POSITION:
Sort donated items and prepare them for the sales floor or
recycling, as necessary. Assist customers in the sales area ringing
sales through the cash register. Keep the sales area neat and
orderly and stock or straighten displays, as necessary.
- Sort donated items. Look for collectibles for us as auction or
- Place clothing on correct hangers, wrap linens, process items
- Price items according to pricing structure
- Keep sorting area clean and orderly.
- Stock sales floor with pre-priced merchandise from sorting
- Review current stock and re-price older merchandise as
- Assist in keeping sales floor stocked, clean and orderly.
- Act as a back-up for receiving area by assisting donors.
- Assist in moving and maintaining Thrift Store displays
- Maintain good staff, customer, and public relations, working
with individuals, groups, and organizations to cultivate donations
and volunteer help.
- Attend mandatory staff meetings.
- Attend all training for Safe from Harm compliance.
- Support the mission statement of The Salvation Army.
- Other duties as assigned by the Store Manager and/or Corps
- The individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required; the individual must
be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Education and/or Experience
- High school graduate or equivalent (based on position)
- Language Skills
- Read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals;
write routine reports; effectively present information in
one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and
- Reasoning Ability
- Understand and carry out instructions furnished in written,
oral, or diagram form; deal with problems involving several
variables in changing situations.
- Clerical/Mathematics Skills
- Add, subtract, multiply, divide, and figure percentages in all
units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and
- Operate a cash register, telephone system, alarm system,
copier, safe, fax, computer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Lotus Notes,
The successful applicant will demonstrate an understanding of
The Salvation Army and a willingness to support its mission; an
ability to work well with people, handle difficult situations,
handle multiple tasks at one time; excellent communication skills,
including an ability to be diplomatic in receiving donations from
community members; demonstrate integrity in the use and protection
of donations, confidentiality, and staff relations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
- Must possess a Valid Michigan Driver's License, and be able to
pass the Chauffeur's driving test, and be cleared through The
Salvation Army to drive a S.A. vehicle.
- Must pass a state and federal background check and be trained
in local Salvation Army Safe from Harm policies.
The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may
be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
essential functions. While performing the duties of this position,
the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to handle or
feel; hear well; talk. The employee is frequently required to walk
and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally
required to climb or balance; and stoop, kneel or crouch. The
employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific
vision abilities required by this job include close vision,
distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment for this position is a store setting with
limited temperature control. The noise level is moderate. Dust,
mold, and mildew are common.
Keywords: Salvation Army USA, Warren , Sorter, Other , Port Huron, Michigan
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!